Saturday, September 4, 2010

A not so quick update...

Yep.. Still here.

Just wanted to let you all know. I've been stinking busy with all four kids almost daily, and of course there is work nearly everyday. (this does not include the housework, just leaving to get paid to do a job outside of home)

The summer has flown by though and there have been great changes.

The first big one you know, I started playing the violin. That is going to be a constant in my life from now on. I cannot believe that I did not do this earlier, what I have been missing! For those of you who do not know me well, I'll let you in on a little secret.. I sing. I sing a lot, and if I say so myself, I sing really well. I have been doing this all of my life. I was singing harmony to my mother when I was 2-3 years old (her story, not mine) When I was 10 I started playing the guitar. This was the 70's and I really just learned cords to accompany my singing. I never learned to play individual notes.. or to "pick" if you will. I sang in College.. Opera if you can believe it. I've sang in Churches all my life. The point here is that music is a constant for me, a never ending, everyday, background, flowing constant. AND I COMPLETELY STOPPED LEARNING NEW THINGS ABOUT MUSIC! DUH!

This is really the first time I have ever had to learn to read music.. before, I hear it once, maybe twice, I sing it. No problem, and I usually never forget it...Now, I have to learn what these notes mean, and how my fingers need to move to produce these sounds. Boy, do I have some clunkers in me! I also have some soaring, heart expanding sounds that come out.

I'm finding that my fingers are trying to find the notes on the fret when I am at the grocery store (Mom told me I did the same thing when learning the guitar.. I'm sure I did)

I'm listening to Bluegrass, and Celtic fiddling. Lots of Nickelcreek, but also Bond.. amazing talents, stuff to aspire to. Of course while I'm screwing up my scales I lament that I will never be there. (Thank God that John reminds me that this is a long term project and that I've only been doing this for 12 weeks.)

The point is that I ignored a huge part of who I am as a person for a very long time because I was too busy, or too whatever excuse there is, and I suffered for it. I was not nearly as happy as I am now. It seems the silliest little thing, but really, even if every note I play that day is just crap, I still walk away feeling heart-full. I walk away singing, my head full of music..

Don't worry.. knitting is still one of my babies.. I finished a summer sweater (what I call my Jedi sweater) and I am working on my new winter sweater (cable and lace... really nice aran!) and I have another winter sweater that I will do immediately after the cable and lace. It's a hoodie, a lovely green elfin "Lord of the rings" hoodie that I must, MUST have.

Oregonians need hoodies, because we never carry umbrellas... actually that's how we know that you're a tourist, you're carrying an umbrella.. really. I mean it.

I'll try to post pictures of the new sweaters tomorrow, or Sunday.

Also, I just got a new position at work that I am very excited about, I start training for this in October. I won't really get into it, but this is all new stuff to our site and I get to be one of the first 15 to learn it. I am, frankly, deeply honored that I am among the first, and it is a huge blessing to be growing and learning new things at work too.

Now to the children.. School starts again this next week for us, and Ben will be in the 4th grade, and is kinda ready to get back. I am really excited about getting him started on a musical instrument this year. Of the two boys, Ben is the one that walks around singing, interested in what I do on the violin, unconsciously singing the scales after I've played them. Yep, it's time to let him explore what instrument calls to him.

Sam is happily ready for school to start, he is ready for the structure (we run an Aquarian, artsy, fartsy household, I'm sorry to say) he is ready to be back with his friends and doing new things.. I will be talking to his teacher about the possibility of keyboarding for him (they have one in the classroom, and he has expressed an interest)

The girls are home schooled, but I know that they will be sent over with homework if their work isn't finished, soooo homework x 4...

I am also still wishing a had a spotless and organized household (snort. Like that will ever happen. See artsy, fartsy above)

If I write more, your brains may explode. I cannot risk your health for my own release.

See what happens when you post once a month... geesh.

2 comments:

pam said...

I'm so happy for you! I love your enthusiasm with your violin.

I hope everyone has a good school year, with good teachers!

Joan's Good Life said...

Gosh! I was the one that wanted to learn and YOU are the one LEARNING! Good for you! I'm so glad you're DOING it! So when will we get to hear you play? ;-)
And you know... when you are away so long... it takes a LOOOONG time to catchup! So don't stay away so long! ;-) People miss ya you know! ;-)

Hope you like the stitch markers. If you have any suggestions as to how to make them more usable.... you know where to find me!